Saturday, April 27, 2013

104 Years Young

Not sure if you know but Hudson gets his middle name from his great grandpa Eugene Ruf. It's a great middle name (shortened to Gene for the sake of my son not having the initials HEF...if you don't get why...I'm not a fan of the bunny dude and that's all I'm saying).

Last Saturday, 4/20, we celebrated grandpa's 104th birthday. We also celebrated Karl's 30th due to the ever so fun tax season (enough about that..I promise).

As grandpa sat in his robe watching the generations that he started play around him he seemed to enjoy himself. Grandpa...such an easy going 104 year old who can get around pretty darn good if I might say. No walker assistance needed (he hates it) even though it is nice to have just in case...but grandpa doesn't need it.

I absolutely love talking to grandpa and playing cribbage with him. Among the many fun things he is a Friedeck house main attraction. He is definitely a man I like to call my own grandpa and I've felt that way about him for a long time. I love him.

I was sitting next to grandpa by the pond and he tells me...."that little one" (referring to Hudson), "is full of piss and vinegar isn't he." I agree. My son is the most amazingly energetic little one I've ever met. Then grandpa tells me, "It's absolutely wonderful." I couldn't agree more. As a 104 year old he has seen a lot in his time. The internet/computer as he refers to as "the magic box", iPhones let a lone cell phones or even portable house phones. Grandpa has seen a lot. And he is absolutely amazed by his "smart, very with it" great grandson. He says this with a sense of pride that would make anyone feel blessed.

I'm so lucky to be a part of this man's life and to know what great genes my son has to look forward to. A life full of change, growth, and more knowledge that I could ever dream of. Grandpa is the most amazing 104 year old I will ever have met. He is absolutely wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment